Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Isis

1/15/19

Yesterday there was a baby born
Somewhere in the hills of Destrehan
To a young man I watched turn into
A young man. A needle user, a junkie
A washed up and down with child
That maybe society had given up on
And truly I didn’t think he would make it
But this just goes to show what I know
To show that I don’t decide who and what and when
For this is left up to the power of the
Universe. I take some mornings and don’t trust
Don’t wake up for the alarm. An hour later
Rolling out of bed at six
Go to the sofa and hold the dog
As if this will take away the pain
The pain of waking, the pain of leaving the cocoon
So quiet and dark and warm
Such like maybe what it is when the body dies
Carried, yet there is terror in being without
Ego. Wrapped in the comforter against my back
I do not have the time or space to find myself
On this journey the body and mind need more rest
Those that I love are only a phone call away.
She is lying next to me in the morning
Her own little snoring, her own freedom to choose
If and when she will get up. Maybe
I am not a warrior and will not thrive
In the early morning examination
When there seems to be no inspiration
Only fear at what is coming, fear of the unknown
Fear of why my head shakes sometimes
Fear of the need to be right
Fear of staying awake too long
And the inability to jump up and shake the body
A slap to the face of consciousness
Neuroplasticity a non-issue this morning
If I cannot find something upon which to dote
To give love, to create the unknown
To type faster before the words get caught
In a box of surprises where ego exists
Back with the jacks and balls and the clowns
With the shift in mood and tone, with the Gathering
A spot to meet, run by a church, and last night I hear,
“Mr. George?” I turn and can’t think of her name
A student from last year, from Marrero.
We talk, and I ask her about the school, and I ask her
Does she want a hug, and she wraps her arms around
Me. I can’t remember her name, so when she goes to the van
I ask her friend, and the friend tells me Isis, and I remember
Her middle and last name, and I remember her trying
And somehow in the chaos that was last year,
I remember the good moments when the kids were engaged
And I remember the good moments when they were not
And I remember Janae who I finally got to read
Sitting in the closet by herself, how I caught her,
Reading a book about horses. And I remember Ava,
Bouncing all over the classroom, crawling like a soldier
I remember how the spirits and souls of those children seemed to be crushed
For everything was about keeping them in line
And screaming about what was wrong, and now, when this isn’t happening
When there is chatter in my own little classroom,
I feel guilt. I feel as though I have failed, but is this not
The nature of the ego when it knows it is not best
To grasp onto what other people might think and to grasp
Onto the need for control. Yet there is a fine line between my responsibility
And a need for control. There may be a lesson in all of this
As I wish to protect what it is that saved me
I come to want to control those perceived as a threat
And so those in the administrations of schools
Built on the premise of being better
And being shut down if scores aren’t made
Have the need to control. For fear made it this way
What seems necessity is really lack of faith
What seems whipping into shape is really
The fear of the voices that live within
And maybe all of this is only my own bullshit fear.
After meditation:

Still thought of holding on and not knowing
Where I should be in the future, where my group
Should be, where my students should be, where
My teachers should be, but a bit more awake
A coffee delivered to the bathtub by a woman
Does way too much for me, and I come home sometimes
And I sulk because what I have done is not enough
And the needed time and knowledge to do
What I need to do is not there. If able to stay
In the moment, the gifts will come, as I was talking
To the young man last night, that doing god’s work
Will wrap around whatever else is happening, inside
Of the hands and plans of the universe is an all-knowing gift
To be turned and tested and forced to go within
These are the criteria for growth, the criteria for
Sustainability. And in this time of deciding who to hire,
What might I do were I to consider myself? This is about
More than me. Not everyday will I rise to greet the morning
Not everyday will the determination take me there, and
At this moment, the realization hits: I have not prayed
As soon as my eyes open. This is the mind with which I am faced
This is why I need help upon awakening, need cleared the cobwebs of sleep
Need cleared the subconscious fears and needs
Need cleared a pathway to the divine that has been there
Ever since I was a child, lying in bed without a drum
Or a sound or anybody to listen
So I hit softballs as far as I could
And killed frogs without thought about their souls
I went wild on a bicycle, jumping over ramps
Handmade with plywood and football helmets
And those days, when I stood by the mailbox
Waiting for the mail lady to give us that day’s candy
I wonder whether I worried about the future, the way I did
While lying in bed and contemplating the nature of death
Still this exists. Still this fear of what if? In the temperature of
Children that say, “I don’t like you, Mr. George,”
And you sometimes forget that these teenagers are still children
You forget that you are in this world to play the role
God assigns. You forget that when you sit and consider
When you try to explain life to others, when you stop the thoughts
Life is perfect. All is happening for a reason, as all has happened
For a reason. What you do is about tuning in and finding what is next
And what is next today is to stand in front of a class, unprepared
Unsure, unknowing and yet with love and questions, so that
Someday in the future, when you see one of these children,
They, like Isis, might give you a hug, and who knows
Some might even come to the realizations that you have, that
There are wrongs you need to right, teachers whose lives
You did not respect, teachers who you purposefully pushed
To see them explode. You will not explode, not outwardly,
But sometimes your insides break down and the weight of stress
Is matter, whereas the weight of god and now is energy
And this will change the body, will change the composition
Will affect your health and return you to the position
With which you once knew, floating, safe, carried in the womb
And maybe this is why Marcel Proust wrote in that cork lined room
He knew back then in France what you know now, that we
All of us want to be held, to be loved, to be carried
From here to there without a fight, yet in this world
We will enough blind fighters who want you to cut out your own eyes
And there will be arm less warriors standing ready to do battle
Ready to take your own, yet with the growth of new skin
Comes a new day and a new witness and a new time to
Use the same words in different sentences. All is well.
Is this not the point of this writing, to take you to that place,
To change the way the synapses fire in the brain, to show others
That they can do the same by relying on a force, a power
The moment, the now, what some may call god, and what is
The divine that resides within and throughout everything

That is everything at its source

No comments:

Post a Comment